New Dependent Age Notification
The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act was signed into law earlier this year changes the dependent age to cover your dependents until the end of the month in which they turn 26. The new federal requirement becomes effective with plan years on or after October 1, 2010.
- Dependent coverage for adult children will be expanded to age 26
- Dependents that previously "aged off" can be added back onto a parent's policy during the plan's next open enrollment period on or after September 23, 2010 in accordance with the new law. The standard age-off date will be the end of month in which a dependent turns 26.
- Eligible Dependents status includes your unmarried and married children
- Eligible Dependents are not required to be living in your household
- Eligible Dependents are not required to be supported by you as under the old IRS regulations
- Eligible Dependents may not be covered if they are eligible for coverage under another employer group
Should you have an eligible dependent adult child that is less than 26 years old you may add them back on to your plan or you may add them as a new dependent on to your health insurance plan effective October 1, 2010. An application is required to be completed and the appropriate premium. All applications must be received no later than September 30, 2010. Please contact Rosa Clear, 276-739-3006 with any questions or further assistance.